Have you ever felt confused about what your role as a homemaker entails, or even means, for that matter? It seems that sometimes the thought of homemaking and the reality of homemaking can be completely different. In this post, we’re going to go over what it means to be a Christian Homemaker.
Here’s what you can expect:
- What is Christian Homemaking?
- Inspirational Quotes about Homemaking
- Why are Homemakers important?
- Bible Verses that help direct Women, Moms, Wives, and Homemakers
- 3 Steps to Christian Homemaking
- Free Christian Homemaking Planner
What is Homemaking?
When you read the word “Homemaking,” what comes to mind?
You might be envisioning a mom with perfectly coiffed hair, wearing an apron, sizzling some bacon and eggs and setting a steaming cup of coffee in front of her husband as she pecks his cheek and her children play quietly with blocks in the next room.
Or, you may conjure up a vision of a harried housewife in desperate need of a shower, with mounds of laundry in every corner, avoiding stepping on a LEGO while pouring milk in her coffee and accidentally setting the jug in her pantry instead of returning it to the fridge.
You might think this woman does nothing. Or too much.
Or you assume she’s discarded every part of herself to care for her husband and children. Or you’re wondering how she balances it all.
You might think she loves her role. Or resents it.
Or something else entirely.
So what does it actually mean to be a homemaker? Let’s find out…
Homemaking is defined as “the creation and management of a home, especially as a pleasant place in which to live” (by the Oxford Dictionary).
What is Christian Homemaking?
Christian Homemaking (to us at Just Homemaking) is a high calling to honor God’s plan for your life by using your unique gifts and talents to intentionally care for the relationships and spaces with which He’s entrusted you.
Do you strive to honor God and what the Bible teaches as you care for your children, husband, and home? If so, you’re in good company! At Just Homemaking, we are a group of Christian homemakers striving to seek after God and draw closer to Him each day as we do all these things.
We share stories and tips to encourage moms like you to live out this high calling God has given us. You can receive weekly encouragement by subscribing here.
Quotes about Christian Homemaking
“Christian Homemaking is a high calling to honor God’s plan for your life by using your unique gifts and talents to intentionally care for the relationships and spaces with which He’s entrusted you.”Just Homemaking
The Imperfect Homemaker
“Homemaking is not about “doing it all.” Homemaking is about creating an environment where Christ is the center of all that is said and done.”
“Remember: Being a good homemaker is a skill that you learn.”
“A housewife’s work…is surely, in reality, the most important work in the world…your job is the one for which all others exist.”
The Christian Homemaker
“Homemaking is about more than just cleaning a house. It’s about making a home where the people who live there feel warm, loved, and safe to be themselves. Each member of your family needs room to learn and grow in Christ.”
Embracing a Simpler Life
“Godly homemaking is the intermingling of craft and work for the purpose of cultivating a space to nurture our families and ourselves for God’s glory.”
Why are Christian Homemakers Important?
Do you sense the incredible need for Christian Homemaking in our current culture?
There is so much brokenness and confusion, stress and tiredness…something’s got to give. We have to start reevaluating these problems and we believe that starts at home.
If women can decide to take their roles as Christian homemakers seriously, and provide their family with a stable, loving home, then think of the impact that could have on a neighborhood, and then a town, and (God, I pray) a country.
If we choose to dedicate our hearts to what God has right in front of us and do an intentional and amazing job at loving those around us, maybe we can turn hearts to love the Lord. Maybe we can revive a generation to seek after Him whole-heartedly.
If we can get out of our own way, see the truth of what God wants our days to look like, then maybe we can impact our world.
Will you join with us and dedicate your life to this mission? Will you join us as we take up our cross each day to follow after our loving God? Will you come back to what is Biblically true and noble and praiseworthy?
Let us be women who aren’t led by selfish desires, but women who are passionately seeking after the One True God. The God who loves us so much that He sent His son to this earth so we could be with Him in heaven someday.
We pray that because of Christian Homemakers who dedicate their lives to serving God in and through their homes, that brokenness and confusion, stress and tiredness would fade away, and a new generation of Christians would live full, faith-filled passionate lives. That all those we minister to would feel that stress melt away and they’d feel loved and ready to take on whatever is next.
***Side note: We also believe that men have a huge role in the home and in serving others, but this topic is meant to encourage women specifically.
Bible Verses about Women, Moms, Wives, and Homemakers
Now that we know what a Christian Homemaker is and why her role is so important, let’s read through some Bible verses about Women, Moms, Wives, and Homemakers. This will give us direction as we live for God.
Bible Verses for Women
1 Peter 3:3-4
Bible Verses for Wives
1 Peter 3:1-6
1 Timothy 3:11
1 Corinthians 7:2-3
Bible Verses for Moms
1 Timothy 5:8
Bible Verses about Homemaking
1 Chronicles 16:11
1 Timothy 5:13-14
3 Practical Steps to Joyful Christian Homemaking
So what does this look like in our daily life? How do we take this knowledge and live it out in our roles as Christian Homemakers? Follow these practical steps…
1. Start and End your Days focusing on Faith
- Beginning your day with God’s Word and prayer sets your mind right on what’s important. As you draw near to God, your desires and attitude will align with His.
- Find Bible verses that inspire you to do the work God has called you to.
- Focus on your blessings in the morning and at night. Thank God for all He has given you.
- Give your worries and troubles to Him. Stress doesn’t help us have a peaceful heart.
- Remember how much you wanted to be a homemaker and the reasons you’ve chosen this role for your life. Give your plans to Him.
- Find joy in serving others because it makes you more like Jesus and increases your joy.
2. Be Intentional
- Your day isn’t going to fall into place without knowing what you want to accomplish. Write goals and lists to help you. (Learn how to be an efficient homemaker.)
- Plan your week and meals.
- Think about your husband or children’s needs, and do unique things for them.
- Find ways to serve outside of the home or be there for a friend in need.
- Take time to do things you love and fill your cup with the way God made you unique (it doesn’t have to look like other women). Check out this post on Soul Care for Women
- Find friends or online resources (like US!) to encourage you along the way.
3. Evaluate how you’re doing and make changes as needed
- This is not a way to compare yourself to what others do. This is meant to help you achieve your goals.
- Do you see an area in yourself or your home that needs improvement?
- Is there a need from someone in your home that isn’t met?
- Are you struggling with a sin or just losing motivation?
- Take time to reflect on how your days have gone, so that you can live out the purpose God has given you.
Your Free Printable: Homemaking Weekly Planner
In order to help put these steps into practice, we created this Free Printable, Homemaking Weekly Planner. We hope this helps you (like it does us) to do more of “whatever is just,” as it talks about in Philippians 4:8.
You can get this Free Printable by signing up for our Weekly Newsletter here.
Will you join along with us? It doesn’t matter what your life looks like today…you can join along with us as a group of women who want to be intentional Christian Homemakers.
Start today and take these 3 steps with us to live intentionally. We can’t wait to see what God has planned for your life!
Modern Homemaking for Christian Moms Society has told us we should want more out of life than being a wife, mom, and homemaker. But we are here to tell you that God looks on these roles with adoration and honor. Read these tips for embracing homemaking in today’s world.
How to Get Over Yourself and Start Honoring God in Your Homemaking Learn how to stop giving into the flesh and choose spirit instead. In this way, you can glorify God as a homemaker.
Resting in God’s Grace: a Quick Guide for Moms Moms and stress tend to go hand-in-hand, but we are here to tell you that God has an abundance of grace for moms! Read these tips for resting in God’s grace and trusting in Him!
10 Tips on How to be a Good Christian Mom Check out these qualities of great Christian moms and mother on!
Get Your Shenanigans Together with a Simple Family Command Center Help create a home that thrives with a system that actually works!